Wisdom Teeth Removal Costs
Wisdom teeth removal costs range from $100-600 per tooth. Many dental plans will cover a portion of the cost of wisdom tooth removal. This is because the surgery is often medically necessary to stop infection or tooth damage. The procedure can also be seen as preventive (since wisdom teeth can contribute to dental problems like tooth crowding, decay and gum disease later in life). You may still end up paying a substantial portion of the cost of extraction even with dental insurance. Here are some of the factors that determine wisdom tooth extraction prices:
- Whether you have all wisdom teeth removed in a single procedure
- If the upper wisdom teeth are near or penetrating into the sinus cavity
- If the wisdom teeth are partially or fully covered by gum tissue
- If the lower wisdom teeth are partially or fully covered by bone
- If there is an abscess or cyst present
- Whether you need sedation or general anesthesia
- Whether there are complications such as persistent bleeding or dry socket after surgery
A general or family dentist will typically charge less than an oral surgeon. However, you may have more sedation options and a lower chance of complications for a high risk wisdom tooth extraction when you have an oral and maxillofacial surgeon perform your procedure.
Average Wisdom Tooth Removal Costs by Procedure Type
- If the wisdom tooth has fully erupted (grown in so that the crown is fully visible above the gums), the extraction may cost less than $200 per tooth. Since third molars generally have several roots, the tooth may still need to be sectioned (cut into pieces) for removal.
- Molars that are partly covered by gum require a certain amount of surgery to remove/reshape the gum tissue during extraction. This type of procedure may run between $200-250 per tooth.
- If a wisdom tooth is partly covered by bone, the price is higher. You may expect to pay $300 or more per tooth for removal. If the tooth is positioned at an angle that makes it difficult to remove, the price goes up.
- Wisdom tooth extraction costs for a fully bony impaction (tooth completely covered by jaw bone) may range from $400-600 per tooth.
More expensive procedures associated with wisdom tooth extraction include repair of a perforated sinus cavity or excision of a cyst around the molar along with reconstruction of the surrounding tissues.
Additional Wisdom Teeth Removal Costs
Your dentist will perform an evaluation of your teeth before performing wisdom tooth removal. Depending on your particular case, the dentist may want occlusal, periapical, or panoramic x-rays to see the impacted wisdom teeth and surrounding structures. The consultation and x-rays may cost $100-150.
If you have an abscess or infection in the wisdom tooth, you may need a course of antibiotics and surgical drainage of the abscess before extraction takes place. This may cost $80-120.
Sedation costs are assessed in addition to surgical costs. Oral sedation or IV sedation may add $100-400 to the total price. More extensive oral surgery for complex cases may require general anesthesia in a hospital setting. General anesthesia costs more and you may also be paying for the anesthesiologist’s fee and hospital fees along with the oral surgeon’s fee. In that case, total wisdom tooth extraction costs may reach several thousand dollars for removing all four wisdom teeth.